Finding treatment the right treatment center for drug addiction or alcoholism is an important choice. Throughout the years, we’ve seen several friends and family members begin their journey of recovery with a stay at a residential treatment center. Here are a few things to take in to consideration.
- First, check with your insurance to see what is offered. Many times insurance companies will pay for treatment, or at least some of it. Determining what coverage you have helps to make the decision easier. If you are unsure, check with the treatment center and they will be able to help you out! Most residential facilities have their own staff that work with insurance carriers all the time, and they will be able to help you out with coverage.
- Sometimes “getting away” is the best. This really is not a big thing, but sometimes alcoholics and addicts prefer to check in to a treatment center that is at least an hour or two away (or more) from where they live to help them focus on their treatment and get a “fresh start.”
- Do you want a gender specific treatment center? This is another aspect of the treatment process that is not too big of a deal, but should be taken in to consideration. Some people prefer to go to a gender specific treatment center because it can help them focus, as well as bond with people. It can at times be easier to be open and honest in these settings too. But again, its not a big deal and more of a preference.
- Does the facility offer an aftercare plan? Extending the treatment beyond the residential stay can be important in staying on the right path.
- Is there anything preventing me from going? Many times, alcoholics and addicts put of treatment because of a job, family obligations, or other factors. The best time to go to treatment for alcoholism and drug addiction is RIGHT NOW. If you are thinking you need help, you probably do. Putting off going to treatment can have serious consequences, so its often best to just go and start getting better immediately.